My Subcontinental Adventures

Welcome to मेरे उपमहाद्वीप साहसिक, or "My Subcontinental Adventures"!


Namaste!

Welcome to my blog, मेरे उपमहाद्वीप साहसिक, or as some Americans would say, "My Subcontinental Adventures."

It's that time again; time for an adventure that is! Even when I try to stay in one place, it never really lasts for too long. If you are not aware of my travel plans, I will be leaving for Hyderabad, India March 7th and living there for 3 months while working on my client project and training in SAP. After I am finished with my assignment on the subcontinent, I will head up to Nepal to trek to the Mt. Everest Base Camp! I am thrilled to be embarking upon this once in a lifetime experience and am excited to share it all with you in this blog!

Many of you are familiar with my blog from my European travels and this blog will follow a similar style with me posting on a weekly or as-needed basis. Be aware though that I will be approximately 12 hours ahead of you (depending where on the globe you currently reside) so posts may pop up at odd hours. You could also follow my blog and be notified of posts, just sayin'....

I anticipate sending many postcards again as I did while travelling in Europe so please send me your mailing address. I can promise you that I will send you at least one postcard. I think I will be able to send some from the Everest Base Camp, wouldn't it be cool to receive one from there? It would be, so send me your address! Please send your addresses to my gmail account at nmetildi@gmail.com

That is all for now, so excited to share this experience with you all!

Friday, May 3, 2013

Week 8 - It's an Indian Summer Here

Week 8 Thoughts:
  1. Californians (or maybe just Americans for that matter) are the best people in the world. (So said our waiter at Mahesh Lunch Home in Pune.)
  2. The US has nothing on the traffic in Delhi.
  3. I want to have an Indian wedding.
  4. I've seen the Taj Mahal?!
View from Charminar, Hyderabad
With one month left in India, things are really starting to speed up.  Last weekend we visited Delhi and Agra and this weekend I am currently at an Indian wedding for my friend Ashish in Pune. First things first though, let's talk about Delhi and Agra.

Delhi is probably my second favorite city in India.  It was sprawling and cosmopolitan and had a wealth of culture and shopping.  The most memorable moments had to be the traffic, which was absolutely horrendous, and the weather which was incredibly hot (think 'crack an egg on the pavement and watch it cook').  In Delhi we visited the Red Fort and Qutub Minar as well as the India Gate, not to be confused with the Gateway of India in Mumbai of course.  One of the definite highlights though would have to be the shopping.  In the government sponsored shopping areas, you could get handicrafts from all over India in one place.  It was very efficient and I do love efficiency! 



We started our day in Delhi with a visit to Qutub Minar which is the tallest minaret in India.  Unfortunately we were not allowed to climb up as it is not allowed anymore, but the view from below Qutub Minar was astounding.  You might have to turn your head sideways to view it here. :)




 






After we stopped for lunch and shopping, as well as visiting the Red Fort, we went to Humayan's Tomb. The Taj Mahal is modeled after its Mughal architectural style. The detail with which the mausoleum was created was stunning. Here are a few photos inside and outside of the tomb.

































The next day we drove to Agra from Delhi and what a ride it was.  It took us about 5 hours and there were at least four overturned trucks along the way.  Seeing the Indian countryside was a treat though. When we got to Agra, we wasted no time in exploring the sites. We first started with Fatehpur Sikri which was a lovely palace with Muslim, Hindu, and Christian influences as the Mughal emperor had three wives, one Muslim, one Christian, and one Hindu. 









One of the many street views in Agra.









After a long day of travelling, we went to the Oberoi for dinner which was a palatial hotel where each room boasts a view of the Taj Mahal, just across the river.  Below is the view of the pool from the reception balcony. 


The next morning we got to the main event; the Taj Mahal! The Taj, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World, was magnificent. Made entirely out of white marble, the mausoleum sits on the bank of a river and has thousands of precious stones inlaid in the marble.  Shah Jahan erected this mausoleum, which took 22 years to build, in honor of his favorite wife.  On her death bed, she asked him to create a building so beautiful, the world would not forget their love and her request has been fulfilled. We went to view the Taj at six in the morning and it was a smart idea as it was not yet hot and there were few people there. 

I was pretty excited to see the Taj Mahal to see the least!

This weekend I had the honor of attending Ashish's wedding.  We attended what would  have to be similar to a rehearsal dinner last night, complete with dancing and Indian festivities.  I am told that the dancing and other rituals are carried out as a blessing for the couple and to wish them well in their married life.  Everyone was so full of life and it makes me want to have an Indian wedding. 





One of the most memorable moments of the night was when Ashish asked Neha to marry him as their marriage was arranged and technically speaking, Ashish had not asked Neha to marry him yet.  I was so honored to be apart of the moment and it made me even more excited for the ceremony the next day. I do not have photos from the actual ceremony yet, but I will tell you that it was beautiful. The food was plentiful, the people so kind and the dancing very merry.  I am about to head out to the reception so I must leave you to get ready.

I hope you are well and have had some merriment of your own this past week!